Saturday, October 10, 2015

Technology Integration

I really enjoy using digital technology myself, and I enjoy bringing it into the classroom.  Integrating technology means that technology is an element that is woven into the lesson or activity.  There is a goal or purpose for the technology that is being used and how it's being used.  A specific example of how I integrate technology on a daily basis in my classroom is in science.  The students have a booklet with all kinds of information on animals.  This is presented to them in the form of words.  Boring words!  So I have created a Google Slides presentation that includes pictures and video clips of the animals and concepts we are learning about.  I also project the booklet using my document camera so that when we are taking notes I have a clear model for students to follow along with.
This is essential in my classroom because my students are visual learners.  They need an example in front of them or they would not be able to follow along.  The pictures and video clips present real-life examples and allow the students to really see what they are studying about.  I obviously cannot take a trip to the Mojave Desert to look at the animals there and see how they adapt to their environment.
Benefits of integrating technology include exposing the students to real-life examples and experiences that they couldn't have otherwise.  Technology integration also engages students more than listening to the teacher standing and talking for the entire class period.  When the students are using the technology, it really gives the teacher a good sense of whether the students are understanding what is being taught.  For example, my students are currently working on creating food chains for each of the environments we have studied.  From this assignment I will be able to gauge their understanding of environments, food chains, producers, consumers and decomposers, carnivores, omnivores and herbivores and many other concepts from our animal unit.  Because they are the ones creating it, they will be taking ownership of it and when they are shared with peers, they will have an authentic audience.



Link to my Technology Integration Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment